Joel Brüschweiler: "Having fun is the most important thing!"
Even when the times for the athletes are though and there are not many competitions, many athletes keep on working on the development of their favorite sport. The IAU Athlete Ambassador and the world class Match crossbow athlete Joel Brüschweiler recently took part in the IAU General Assembly as a guest. Here are his impressions and crossbow shooting story.
- Joel, introduce us please with you crossbow shooting story – why did you choose crossbow shooting? When was it? What are your favorite titles?
- I started crossbow shooting in 2002 when I was 9 years old. I started because my father was also a crossbow shooter. So, in my childhood we were often in the shooting range and I wanted to try it myself. In 2009 I started competing and in 2010 I participated in my first world championships in Avon, France.
My favorite title is the 10m title from the WCH 2019 in Ulyanovsk because I had absolutely not expected it. Qualification was not good at all and I qualified on the 8th place for the final. Between qualification and final I got the hint to change bolts from another athlete. In my opinion, this is one of the best examples that we are one big family in crossbow shooting!
- What attracts you the most in crossbow shooting sport?
- For me it’s the fight against myself in the competition. I am responsible for my result. The second point is like described earlier; we are one big crossbow family. We can have hard fights during competition but before and afterwards we are friends.
- What do you do when you are not on a shooting range? Do you have any hobbies? What are your interests?
- I have started running last year. First it was as compensation training for shooting, but since then it became a hobby.
- In 2019 you were appointed as an IAU Athlete Ambassador. How do you feel about that and what does it mean to you?
- I am honored to be one of the two athlete ambassadors from match division. I hope that I can help develop the crossbow sport in the world.
- Do you have any ideas and suggestions how to popularize match and field crossbow sport in the world?
- I think it is important to get good press in newspapers and also in TV. Live streams from the WCH or World Cups and World Cup Final would make the sport more interesting.
- You recently attended the IAU General Assembly as a Guest, as an IAU Athlete Ambassador. First time in the history of the IAU, the GA was held online. Do you think it went well and what are your impressions from the GA?
- It’s very good to see that it is possible to hold the GA online. Apart from the minor technical difficulties, it was a good meeting in my point of view. I hope that there will be organizers interested in hosting the world and continental championships in the next years.
- Do you have any message for the young athletes?
- Having fun is the most important thing!